Hampi is a historic town located in the Indian state of Karnataka, famous for its ruins of the Vijayanagara Empire. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and attracts tourists from all over the world. The ruins of Hampi are a testament to the glory of the Vijayanagara Empire, which was one of the most significant empires in Indian history. Here are the top 10 tourist places to visit in Hampi:
- Virupaksha Temple: The Virupaksha Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is one of the most important pilgrimage sites in South India. The temple is known for its beautiful carvings, intricate sculptures, and towering gopuram (temple tower).
- Hampi Bazaar: The Hampi Bazaar is a bustling market street with shops selling souvenirs, clothes, and jewelry. The street is lined with ancient buildings and is a great place to explore.
- Vittala Temple: The Vittala Temple is an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It is known for its beautiful stone chariot, musical pillars, and intricate carvings.
- Hazara Rama Temple: The Hazara Rama Temple is a small temple that is known for its elaborate carvings depicting scenes from the Ramayana.
- Queen’s Bath: The Queen’s Bath is a large rectangular structure that was used by the royalty for bathing. The bath is surrounded by arched corridors and is an impressive example of the architecture of the Vijayanagara Empire.
- Elephant Stables: The Elephant Stables are a row of domed chambers that were used to house the royal elephants. The stables are known for their impressive architecture and are a popular tourist attraction.
- Lotus Mahal: The Lotus Mahal is an elegant two-storied pavilion that was used by the royal women for relaxation and recreation. The pavilion is known for its beautiful lotus-shaped arches and delicate carvings.
- Matanga Hill: Matanga Hill is a popular trekking destination in Hampi. It offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape and is a great place to watch the sunrise or sunset.
- Sanapur Lake: Sanapur Lake is a picturesque lake located near Hampi. It is a great place to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of the area.
- Anjaneya Hill: Anjaneya Hill is a hill located near Hampi that is believed to be the birthplace of Lord Hanuman. The hill is a popular pilgrimage site and is known for its beautiful views and the ancient temple located at the top.
In conclusion, Hampi is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in history, architecture, and culture. The town’s ruins offer a fascinating glimpse into the Vijayanagara Empire’s glory days, and the natural beauty of the area is simply breathtaking.