Coorg, also known as Kodagu, is a picturesque hill station located in the Western Ghats of Karnataka, India. Here are seven places you should definitely visit when in Coorg:
- Abbey Falls: This stunning waterfall is a popular tourist destination and is located about 10 km from Madikeri. The water cascades down from a height of 70 feet, surrounded by lush greenery and coffee plantations.
- Talacauvery and Bhagamandala: Talacauvery is considered the origin of the Cauvery River and is a significant pilgrimage site for Hindus. Bhagamandala is a nearby temple where the Cauvery River meets the Kannika and the Sujyoti rivers.
- Dubare Elephant Camp: This camp offers a unique opportunity to get up close and personal with elephants. Visitors can watch the elephants being bathed and fed, and even take an elephant ride.
- Raja’s Seat: This viewpoint offers stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys. It is said that the King of Kodagu used to come here to watch the sunrise and sunset.
- Madikeri Fort: The Madikeri Fort is a historical monument and was built by Mudduraja in the 17th century. The fort has a museum, a temple, and a prison.
- Nagarhole National Park: This wildlife sanctuary is home to a wide variety of animals, including tigers, elephants, and leopards. Visitors can take a jeep safari to explore the park.
- Mandalpatti: This hilltop offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. The road to Mandalpatti is a bit rough, but the views are definitely worth the effort.