Sankey Tank is one of the ideal places to spend a relaxed day in Bangalore. The tank is situated in a convenient location in the western part of the city. It is in the middle of the suburbs of Malleshwaram, Vyalikaval and Sadashiva Nagar. The lake is spread across an area of 37.1 acres. At its widest the tank has a width of 800 m or 2624.7 ft. The large water body is a source of attraction for the locals as well as the tourists coming to Bangalore.
History of the Sankey Tank
This manmade tank was constructed in the year 1882 under the supervision of Colonel Richard Hieram Sankey of the Madras Sappers Regiment. The tank was built to meet the water supply demands of the Bangalore city at that time. It was linked to the Miller’s tank and Dharmambudhi tank. The tank was also known as Gandhadhakotikere at that time as the Government Sandalwood Depot was located near the lake.
Initially the water of the tank was very putrid. But after a lot of sincere efforts the tank today has pure water.